Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Simply complicated....


“Let’s meet up somewhere “my gal suggested over the phone. Her request took birth from emotional undercurrents which we shared mutually. Its been ages since we did something that remotely resembled actions of a young couple. Work, commitments and geography ensured that. None of those parameters mattered now; both of us had the gift of time and reason. For once the universe decided to go along with Paulo Coelho. My response should have been one of the easiest decisions I’d ever have to make. Well almost….
Following events take place at neurotransmitter time….
YES!! I said to my self, the timing couldn’t be more appropriate. We can finally meet up.
But then it struck me... Where? Trivandrum isn’t the most couple friendly place in the world, quite the contrary actually. In a place where poking ones nose into others affairs is being promoted as a serious social activity even a casual “HI” invites judgmental stares. So no romantic walk through the well maintained Kowdiar road footpath. Not in this heat, not with such frustrated people around. How about the Museum grounds??
Hell NO! The place has built up quiet a reputation lately than even a mother n son seen inside will be subjected to “Moral” interrogation. There is no way in hell, heaven or earth that I was going to take my gal there. As much as I want to be with her no self respecting human will ever take his/her loved one to that place not if that relationship meant something to them.
I could take her to one of those self proclaimed “youth hang-outs” some of which belong to global corporate food chains and the rest are local wannabe food chains. I realized i was moving closer to a solution until I remembered a little piece of disturbing information my gal shared with me some time ago. Careful observation since then confirmed her theory.
These places are a safe haven for perverts who whip out their mobile cams and snap away at every gal that walks in. Doesn’t anyone notice this?? I used to wonder. The answer was even more disturbing. Every one is used to it by now. Call me old fashioned but I don’t want my gal to be a part of another sick slob’s fantasy. So that’s a no go..
What am I left with... a movie? The idea is to meet up not synchronized staring at the moving images on a screen. Reject! How about lunch at one of the restaurants? Now that would have been a solution if it wasn’t for the overcrowded state of almost all restaurants during that time of the day and an incident not so long ago when the guy near me gave his order not from the menu, but by pointing at my plate. The guys running these places are more concerned with finding place for new customers rather than attending to the people who all are already present. How are we supposed to have a ‘us’ time in the middle of such mess… Think!!it mustn’t be that hard.. Think!!You’ve been here your entire life...

Compared to these problems the risk of being spotted by one of our family members is a non issue.

Think you effin muppet!! Then it happened... My head had spoken... “NO!”
I couldn’t believe the word that came out of my mouth. Of all moments you chose this one for reasoning and logic?? Even if I had an explanation why should she listen...? I wasn’t sure who I was angrier at, Trivandrum and its people or my self for over analyzing even the slightest decision ,for failing to realize that life is as much about emotions as its about logic and reasoning.What was I going to say, “ I cant take you out because I love you”?? . There was long silence on the other side as I held myself in contempt. Then she spoke…..

1 comment: